Some Old Man’s Cave History

Old Man's Cave History

We recently happened across this cool Wiki article about Old Man's Cave. Here's a blurb about it.

The Hocking Hills received their name from the Hocking River, which passes several miles northeast of the park through the town of Logan. The river's name came from Shawnee words that translate roughly into "bottle river".

Old Man's Cave was named for Richard Rowe, a hermit who lived in the gorge during the mid-19th century. The gorge became a scenic attraction by 1870 and was purchased for preservation by the State of Ohio in 1924. Old Man's Cave along with five other non-contiguous state-owned areas became Hocking Hills State Park in 1949. Cottages and a dining lodge were opened in 1972.

A six-mile section of the Buckeye Trail (from the Upper Falls at Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave) was a favorite of famous hiker Grandma Gatewood.

For the full article visit:

Old Man’s Cave


Looking for some good links, starting points and a quick look around Old Man's Cave in Hocking Hills, Ohio?

Hocking Hills State Park:
Hocking Hills State Park Travel Guide:
Here's a great video from Ohio DNR